Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cauliflower isn't always yucky!!

Okay - so I have been feeling lately that I lack the appropriate amount of vegetables in my diet. (Whatever the appropriate amount is...who knows!! but it has to be more than once every month or so :o) I really want to eat broccoli and cauliflower but I just don't like them raw (without a ton of ranch dressing to hide the blandness) and raw veggies really make my stomach sad so I have been on a mission to find a recipe that looks and sounds good. Alas, I have found one that seems worth a try. I make squash a lot like this so I think that I could be onto something. One of my most favorite ways to cook squash/zucchini is so easy but sooo good. Just slice the squash (I like to use several smaller squash) down the middle, rub a little olive oil on it and sprinkle garlic salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese on top. Put in the oven until the cheese turns brown and the squash is soft. Oh my goodness!!!! This is so easy but soo good and healthy. I never even thought to try it on other vegetables... The recipe below also calls for parsley which probably makes it even better. Okay - so if I have enough energy after my run tonight, I am going to the store to buy the ingredients. If anyone else has good veggie recipes, please share!!!


Makes 1 serving1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) cauliflower florets2 teaspoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves1/4 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper Salt, to taste1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 425°F.In a medium bowl, combine the cauliflower, cheese, parsley, garlic powder, and pepper. Season with salt. Toss to mix. Drizzle on the oil and toss again. Transfer the mixture to a small nonstick baking dish.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, tossing once, or until lightly browned and crisp-tender. Serve immediately.


1 comment:

  1. Okay so we tried it and the verdict is this is good but the squash is better. oh well...maybe my veggie intake will just have to come by the way of squash and not cauliflower. Even though this is good...I would just rather have squash.

    ReplyDelete